Through mentoring, education and support, Parenting With Purpose will bring healing, restoration and liberty to families affected by incarceration.
Developing strong mentoring relationships that encourage positive growth within children
PWP is committed to building quality, life-long mentoring relationships that change the lives of children forever. The Mentoring for Life Change (MLC) program provides one-on-one and group mentoring for youth, ages 5-25, which are affected by a parent’s incarceration. MLC participants are involved in the program during their parent’s incarceration, as well as after their parent’s release. The mentor serves as an example and a role model of how healthy adult life-styles, positive family relationships and spiritual vitality make a difference in the life of a young person.
Every mentor match is same gender and formed naturally through prior interaction with interested youth in an activity or group setting. PWP trains mentors to meet and relate to the unique needs of prisoners’ children and provides ongoing encouragement and staff support to every mentor. Learn how to get involved
A trusting relationship with a caring adult provides stability–often with a profound, life changing effect on the child.
- Break the cycle of crime within families
- Re-establish, strengthen and maintain the emotional connection between parent and child
- Increase positive parental involvement in their children’s education, behavior and well-being at home, in school and in the community
- Reduce the rate of recidivism
- Decrease the chances of self-destructive behavior